Sunday, September 20, 2009

TOTD, September 18-21

Abundant Showers

According to the Bible, the Lord our God has given us the autumn rains in righteousness. He also sends us abundant showers in this life, both autumn and spring rains, as before. So, with His faithfulness, we need not be afraid. Just rejoice, He will shower us with His Love abundantly. (-fon-)

Be glad, O people of Zion,

rejoice in the LORD your God,
for he has given you
the autumn rains in righteousness.
He sends you abundant showers,
both autumn and spring rains, as before.

--- Joel 2:23

Sunday Reflection by Fr. Gerry Keane, SJ

Peter thought he had “got it” where his companions came up short. Christ for them was just another at those mighty characters from biblical history. But in a flash of inspiration, in which revelation is found, Peter saw the truth as no other. Suddenly he experienced a clear conviction of mind and heart that Christ was the “ Son of the living God” – the unique Saviour of the world.

A few moments later Peter was being termed as a ‘satan’ – an enemy of the truth. His consolation was snuffed out with a reminder of that cranky and unpopular reality – the ever present and redeeming cross. Why this unpleasant and mysteriously necessary phenomenon? This we will never understand but will reluctantly admit that we sense its inevitable place in life. Christ may well be the Saviour of the world. But did He have to be so in the manner He chose?

Only love can provide us with the answer as Peter learned when his later threefold confession of singular love was demanded of him. Perhaps what we all need to pray for is a belief in love and the courage to trust in what we are really innerly convinced of – that love is ultimately all that matters, because it makes all things possible.

(Mark 8: 27-35)

Abba, We Pray…

ABBA, give me the grace
to invite others to your banquet.
Help me always to deepen
my understanding of the gospel of your Son.
Grant me the wisdom
to judge myself rightly
and to challenge others compassionately.
Amen.

- Christopher Maricle
The Jesus Priorities: 8 Essential Habits (source: The Upper Room’s website)

So, Abba Father, these are our prayers. I’m sure you’re listening, because you are Abba, Father. (-fon-)


Because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, "Abba, Father."

--- Galatians 4:6



Dreams and Visions


he said, "Listen to my words:
"When a prophet of the LORD is among you,
I reveal myself to him in visions,
I speak to him in dreams.

--- Numbers 12:6


When the Lord spoke to the Prophets, He will reveal Himself in visions and speak in their dreams. That’s according to the book of Number. But today, as we keep on pursuing our dreams and need to develop visions in this life, we can ask for His guidance. Here’s a good short article about dreams and visions:

CHRIST, MY SERVANT LORD, I seek to do your will, yet I am so often discouraged by what I see and what I know. What I experience often beats me down, driving out my joy and dreams and even the sight of you. But your faithful Spirit dwells with me, stirring my heart and my mind. And so I pray that you who are the Dreamer, the Joy, and the Hope of the Ages would sow in me dreams and visions of what is yet to be, that what is may never so fill my seeing that I am unable to see you, so conquer my knowing that I cease to know you, or so paralyze my doing that I fail to serve you. Amen.

- Minerva G. CarcaƱo
Rhythm & Fire: Experiencing the Holy in Community and Solitude (source: the Upper Room’s website).


He will sow us dreams and visions through the faithful Spirit. We need to trust Him more. (-fon-)

No comments: