Sunday, July 5, 2009

TOTD, July 06

We Are Today’s Prophets

For all our efforts and goodwill, our success at revealing God to a troubled world appears to be futile. Every step in apparent human technological progress seems to bring with it more trouble than blessing. The human seems to disappear as the years sail by. Despite all approaches to portraying our faith with relevance, in our condemnation of ugliness, in all our programmes, prayers, pilgrimages, and whatever, the real beauty of what our Christian faith has to offer never really seems to emerge. One is forced to ask “ What are we really offering to mankind?”

I would suggest that it is the life of a convinced Christian living life love-laden with Christian revelation and made ones own. To live in a creative love of a Father who drew us out of nothing into a world of endless beauty, to be embraced by a Son who died for us in love and to rest in the assurance of a Spirit of consolation and serenity is surely beauty beyond expression. But it is what is alone ours to give. Why do we not relish and express our joy? Is it because in the words of today’s gospel “I am no prophet in my world” strange that I admit to have been given so much and yet I have so little to give? Am I so conscious of the weakness in me and that I dare not pretend I have something to contribute? We are today’s prophets. How can we be such if we fail to acknowledge what others have to give also? We all need the blessing of seeing what is ours and what is my neighbour’s too. (Father Gerry Keane, S.J of St. Ignatius Church Singapore’s short article).


Jesus said to them, "Only in his hometown, among his relatives and in his own house is a prophet without honor." 5He could not do any miracles there, except lay his hands on a few sick people and heal them. 6And he was amazed at their lack of faith.
--- Mark 6:4-6

No comments: